The malware event: What now?
ITS update, new safeguards in place and steps to remain secure in the wake of the recent security incident.
June 27, 2018
Information Technology Services continues to monitor all Metropolitan State University of Denver systems to protect against any additional problems caused by the recent information-security incident. We would like to share information about how recently implemented safeguards may directly affect you and what you are asked to do to avoid future problems.
New safeguards that may affect you…
- Office 365 Safe Links feature was enabled, providing time-of-click email protection against malicious links or email attachments. When you click on links or attachments in emails, you will receive a warning if the scan indicates it might be malicious. Do not open the link if you receive this warning.
- All faculty, staff and student employees will be required to change their NetID password.
- VPN access remains restricted, and clients who have previously had VPN access will be required to re-enroll through the Helpdesk.
...and what you are encouraged to do
- Change your passwords for your personal accounts (e.g., banking, email) to avoid any complications caused by the malware.
- Continue to be wary of unfamiliar emails and to refrain from clicking on links or attachments. Forward any suspicious emails to firstname.lastname@example.org for analysis.
- Learn how to recognize a suspicious email message by watching this Lynda.com training. All MSU Denver faculty and staff can access Lynda.com at no cost; to access this resource, go to the Faculty & Staff Hub, click on the “Lynda.com” link and log in with your MSU Denver NetID and password. Once logged in, you may also search for “Avoiding Phishing Scams” to find the recommended training.
- If you notice any suspicious activity with your MSU Denver accounts – email or computer – please contact the ITS Helpdesk at 303-352-7548 or support.msudenver.edu.
- Shut down your computer when you leave for the day.
- Subscribe to ITS Service Updates via text or email at its.msudenverstatus.com for up-to-date information.
ITS would like to thank you for your cooperation throughout this incident. The support and understanding from the University community has been overwhelmingly positive, which has helped expedite the remediation efforts. If you have any questions, please contact the Helpdesk at 303-352-7548 or support.msudenver.edu.