Emeritus Status of Administrators and Staff
PDF Version: HR Emeritus Policy
- Authority: Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S.) § 23-54-102, et seq. (2019) authorizes the Trustees of Metropolitan State University of Denver ("MSU Denver" or "University") to establish rules and regulations to govern and to operate the University and its programs. The MSU Denver Trustees retain authority to approve, to administer, and to interpret policies pertaining to University governance. The MSU Denver Trustees authorize the MSU Denver President to approve, to administer, and to interpret policies pertaining to University operations.
- Purpose: This policy defines the criteria for eligibility, selection, and benefits of emeritus status for administrators and staff.
- Scope: This policy applies to University administrators and staff who are exempt from the State of Colorado personnel system in accordance with C.R.S. § 24-50-135.
- Responsible Executive: Chief Operations Officer
- Responsible Administrator: Chief Human Resources Officer
- Responsible Office: Human Resources Office
- Policy Contact: Chief Human Resources Officer, 303-615-0999
III. Policy Statement
- All administrative personnel who have completed ten years of full-time service at the University shall be eligible at the time of their retirement for an emeritus title equivalent to their highest professional title.
- Personnel who participate in the transitional retirement program or who continue to work for the institution full time after retirement are considered to be employees at the University and therefore are not yet eligible for emeritus status.
- The awarding of the emeritus status may be initiated by any member of the administrative unit in which the individual is employed.
- The nomination shall be substantiated in terms of length of service, excellence of performance, and other contributions to the University.
- The nomination shall be endorsed by the members of the administrative unit and by the respective senior administrator, who then will forward the recommendation to the appropriate vice president.
- If the vice president concurs with the nomination, the vice president shall forward the nomination to the President.
- If the President concurs with the nomination, the President will transmit it to the Board of Trustees for final determination and approval.
- Benefits: Administrators awarded emeritus status will have the following benefits:
IV. Policy History
- Effective: July 1, 2019
- Revised: This policy supersedes Chapter VII.B of MSU Denver’s Handbook for Professional Personnel, July 1, 2017; revised July 1, 2015.
- Enacted: February 2, 2005
- Review: This policy will be reviewed every three years or as deemed necessary by University leadership.