Leadership is a subject of vital importance. It is a topic that cuts across time and place, as well as traditional disciplinary boundaries. As such, leadership is extremely relevant in a broad range of contexts from local and global politics to business, ethics, and education. This minor offers students a conceptual understanding of leadership studies that, when combined with co-curricular and experiential components, provides them with an increased awareness of their role in a world of multi-layered change.
The minor provides an ideal complement to a variety of majors, from those in STEM fields seeking careers as leaders of teams working on innovative technologies, to art and humanities majors desiring to further explore public interests, to social science majors with an interest in applying their knowledge in the public and private spheres, and business majors who recognize the vital aspect of leadership in socially responsible businesses.
The Department of Political Science offers a myriad of career-ready degrees:
- Political Science Major, B.A.
- Political Science Major, B.A. with Secondary Education Social Studies Endorsement
- Minor in Legal Studies
- Minor in Native American Studies
- Minor in Political Science
- Minor in Public Affairs and Administration
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
The Department of Political Science, the home of the Leadership Studies Minor, delivers all the academic content you expect from a minor while also bringing to the table everything that’s unique about MSU Denver’s people and Denver’s political community. Students here have the advantage of the following unique opportunities:
• Enjoy attending classes on a vibrant and diverse downtown campus that’s located only minutes from the Colorado Capitol Building.
• Benefit from small classes, extensive interaction with faculty dedicated to your success and the convenience of evening course options.
• Participate in a variety of special activities, including the opportunity to engage in service learning and community involvement.
• The Urban Leadership Program, housed in Student Activities, provides both financial support and experiential learning to many of our minors.
• Learn and work in the Golda Meir Center for Political Leadership, a nonpartisan educational project that gives international visibility to MSU Denver.
• Get involved in co-curricular projects sponsored by the department, such as movies in our media lounge to lectures by leading academics and practitioners from around the world.
• Intern with various organizations that can serve as stepping stones to employment and jumpstart your professional career in political science.
- Leadership and Social Change
- Leadership Studies
- The American Presidency
- Social Change
- On Leaders and Leadership
- Social Movements and the Black Experience
- Native American Politics
- Organizational Psychology
- Small Group Dynamics