The rule of law is a concept vital to any understanding of the world in which we live. The Legal Studies Minor is thus intended to meet the needs of all students who have an interest in the subject, regardless of their major, as well as serving the interests of students who have plans to attend law school after graduation.
The Political Science Department also provides Legal Studies Minors extensive guidance with the law school application process, from application and LSAT preparation support to advice about which law school may be the best fit. If law school is your goal, the Legal Studies minor will set you on the right path.
The Department of Political Science offers a myriad of career-ready degrees:
- Political Science Major, B.A.
- Political Science Major, B.A. with Secondary Education Social Studies Endorsement
- Minor in Leadership Studies
- Minor in Native American Studies
- Minor in Political Science
- Minor in Public Affairs and Administration
Benefits of Earning Your Degree at MSU Denver
The minor is an exceptional choice for those interested in law school. It also provides an ideal complement to a variety of majors, from those in STEM fields seeking to understand how the laws affect their innovations, to art and humanities majors desiring to further explore public interests, to social science majors with an interest in applying their knowledge in the public sphere and business majors seeking to understand the impact of regulatory laws on the bottom line.
Hear from our students:
“With graduation and law school around the corner, I can’t thank you [the faculty] enough ... you’ve always had so much faith in me that it’s pushed me to become a better me.”
—Jennifer Rystrom (BA in political science ’14)
Chris Escobar, MSU Denver Class of 2017.
Political Science Major. President’s Award Winner. Recent graduate of Washington University’s School of Law.
It's Possible Here…
Here are just a few law schools in which our recent graduates have enrolled:
- University of Denver School of Law
- Penn State School of Law
- University of Colorado School of Law
- American University School of Law, Washington, D.C.
- Creighton Law School
- Fordam University School of Law, New York
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, MO
- George Washington University School of Law
As an interdisciplinary minor, courses are offered not only by the Department of Political Science but a variety of other Departments as well. Here are just a few of the options for what is one of the most inclusive Legal Studies curriculum in the state:
- Philosophy of Law
- American Constitutional Law
- Law and Society
- International Law
- American Judicial System
- Criminal Law
- Federal Indian Law
- Women and the Law
- International Business Law
- Sociology of Law