Student Employment Portal
Sick Leave for Student Employees (Effective January 1st 2021, per SB20-205)
MSU Denver offers temporary, non-benefit eligible employees sick leave. The sick leave is accrued at a rate of 1 hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed a maximum of 48 hours in a calendar year.
Employee may use accrued paid sick to be absent for work for the following purposes:
- The employee has a mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition; needs a medical diagnosis, care, or treatment related to such illness, injury, or condition; or needs to obtain preventive medical care.
- The employee needs to care for a family member who has a mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition; needs a medical diagnosis, care, or treatment related to such illness, injury, or condition; or needs to obtain preventive medical care. An employee may be required to provide documentation of the familial relationship
- The employee or family member has been the victim of domestic abuse, sexual assault, or harassment and needs to be absent from work for purposes related to such crime.
- A public official has ordered the closure of the school or place of care of the employee's child or of the employee's place of business due to a public health emergency, necessitating the employee's absence from work, not including inclement weather.
Advance approval should be obtained to the extent possible. Sick leave may not be borrowed from future months. If the need for leave is unforeseeable, employee must provide notice as soon as possible to their supervisor before the start of their scheduled shift.
How to view accrued hours:
- Student Employees will need to go to the Employee Self-services Tab. Students may navigate to the tab through the main menu of the Student Hub or through the employee services menu link on the Faculty & Staff Hub. Once you are on the employee tab, click on Leave Balances. Here employees can view what leave has been accrued and taken after each pay period is closed.
How to report leave:
- On your WebTime Entry online timesheet, the sick leave earnings code will be show under your regular earnings code and you will be able enter hours taken on the appropriate days. Hours taken should be the same as your normally scheduled shift. Once the payroll has closed, the information will update and current balances will be available under Leave Balances.
- Respond to an employee’s time off request as soon as possible.
- Employee does not need to find a replacement worker to cover the hours during which they are using paid sick time off.