Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences
How to Reach the Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences Department
The Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences Department is operating remotely. Please email any inquiries to SLHS@msudenver.edu or call us at 303-615-0045. Thank you.
- Need SLHS advising? Visit our Bookings page to make an appointment with an SLHS advisor.
- New to online learning? Long-time online learner, but need support? Visit the ITS Online Ready page.
- For official University updates and resources, please visit the MSU Denver COVID-19 Update page.
- The Counceling Center is continuing to see new and old clients remotely. Please visit the Counceling Center page for more details.
- The Health Center at Auraria is continuing to offer services and are updating their website accordingly.
Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences at MSU Denver
Mission, Values, & Vision:
Our departmental mission is to continue the tradition of providing a diverse urban population with a comprehensive degree program that converges knowledge of communication and its disorders with everyday applications.
Our program is centered around three core values:
- Provide an affordable and accessible gateway to employment or post-graduate study in speech-language pathology, audiology, or other allied-health professions.
- Blend foundational coursework with applied learning experiences.
- Recognize and value the expansive influence of communication and its disorders/differences across the lifespan on individual and collective experiences.
Our vision is to educate graduates to value and advocate for communication access across all abilities and identities.
The Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences Department (SLHS) at MSU Denver is committed to teaching students about communication and its disorders as well as serving those who are impacted by speech, language, and/or hearing disorders. Our department offers a range of options, in line with the different ways we communicate and the communicative challenges that arise across the lifespan.
For students exploring the area, we offer introductory courses that cover topics like how children acquire language or how a speech disorder like stuttering is different from a language disorder like aphasia. For declared majors and post-baccalaureate students, we offer advanced coursework in the scientific foundations of communication as well as advanced study of speech, language, and hearing disorders. SLHS alums often pursue graduate degrees, the entry-level requirement to be certified as speech-language pathologists or audiologists – two in-demand professions that are ranked among the best jobs in healthcare.
We link classroom to clinic by offering real-world experiences throughout our program. With small class sizes, expert professors and the most affordable tuition in the state, the SLHS department at MSU Denver is your gateway to communication sciences and its disorders. Explore our site to learn more.
Get to Know the SLHS Department!
About every month we will post a question that everyone in the department answers so you can get to know us better! Have fun!
What’s the top destination on your must-visit list?
“After my first week at MSU Denver, I knew I was on the right career path. The teachers had so much energy and were so helpful. They were experienced, and they loved their work. I currently have my own business and have never been happier. I credit the teachers I had at MSU Denver for where I am today because they were knowledgeable and guided me down the right path.”
Mandi Solat, MSU Denver ‘94
Audiologist and owner of Audiology Services in Lakewood, Colo.
Here's where a B.A. in Speech, Language, Hearing Sciences might take you:
“I think it is nearly impossible for anyone to graduate from MSU Denver’s SLHS program and not feel prepared and excited to keep moving forward with the profession. This is largely due to the outstanding, brilliant and diligent professors.”
Jessica Beers, MSU Denver ’14
Speech language pathologist at Infinity Rehab in Ellensburg, Wash.