Skip to main content Skip to main content
The MSU Denver Difference


Apply for your VA Education Benefits

Apply Online at

  • Scroll down and select the green “Select Correct Form” box.  If you have never used benefits before, select “Apply for a new benefit”.  If you are transferring from another institution, then select “Updating my current education benefit”. Answer remaining question until form submittal.  
  • Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter to Veteran and Military Student Services once you receive it via mail from the VA. You may send via email to 


Apply for Tuition Assistance on your branch’s website 




To get admitted to MSU Denver, the Admissions Office requires submission of the following items:

  1. Complete the Online Application for Admissions. (Enter the code: veterans in the empty box of the online application fee payment page in order to waive the $25 application fee.)
  2. Submit high school transcript or GED/HiSet exam from the issuing institution.
  3. Submit all college transcripts from issuing institutions.
  4. Submit DD214: Email electronic DD214 to
  5. Submit Joint Services Transcripts (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcripts 

Questions? Contact Paul Cesare, Assistant Director for Veterans and Military Student Recruitment, 303-605-5710 or




1. Get Your Student ID Number

You will receive a nine-digit “900” Student ID number in your acceptance email and letter. You can also get your student ID number from the Office of Admissions.

2. Login to the Student Hub

Visit My First Login for instructions on how to get your NetID and PIN. Then head over to the Student Hub where you will use this information to login and access web services such as student email, registration, class schedules, financial aid, and other services you may need in the future.

3. Take Accuplacer Assessment Exams

If you are required to take assessment exams (requirements are determined based on ACT/SAT scores), you must complete them before registering for Orientation. Accuplacer assessment exams are available in the Office of Testing Services.

4. Attend Orientation

All students are required to attend New Student Orientation before registering for classes. 

5. Contact Your Academic Advisor and Register for Classes

All students are required to contact an academic advisor to plan their academic path. To find out which advisor you should see based on your desired major download this document. Finding Your Academic Advisor

6. Submit Certification Request for VA Benefits After Registering for Classes

The certification request will prompt us to review your courses and report that to the VA so you receive your benefits. This is required every semester once you register for classes. 

7. Apply for Financial Aid and Scholarships

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by using MSU Denver’s school code 001360. MSU Denver also offers a variety of which are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis or based on academics, achievement and financial need.

  • Undocumented and DACA students should complete the DREAMer Application for Institutional Aid (DAIA) to apply for institutional financial support.
8. Authorize the College Opportunity Fund Stipend

Colorado resident students qualify for a College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend which will pay for a portion of in-state tuition by completing the online COF application. After you register for your first semester classes, complete the one-time COF stipend authorization to have it applied to your tuition. All students using GI Bill or Tuition Assistance are highly encouraged to apply and authorize COF.

9.  Get Student ID Card and Your Books, Supplies

Get your Student ID card in Tivoli, Room 205. Items needed: $22 (cash or credit/debit), a valid photo ID and a copy of your class schedule. Purchase books and supplies at Tivoli Station.

10. Pay Your Tuition

Pay tuition and fees via the Student Hub (see step 2) or at the Cashier’s Office located in the Student Success Building, Room 140, by 5 p.m. on the Friday before classes begin. For Post 9/11 GI Bill, Transfer of Entitlement Post 9/11, Fry Scholarship and VR&E you are not required to pay tuition as long as you've submitted the certification request in step 6 by the first day of class at the latest. 

11. Health Insurance and Immunization Requirement

Health Insurance is a mandatory fee when registered for 9 or more credit hours in the Fall or Spring semesters. Those with alternate coverage can waive this fee if you are paying out of pocket. 

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill users at 100% benefit level: do not waive the health insurance as the VA will pay for it.
  • Less than 100% Post 9/11 or not using Post 9/11: waive if you have alternate coverage to reduce your out of pocket costs.

All students are required to submit their immunization records. Review the Immunization Requirements.

Access Center (Disability Resource Center)

Students with mental health, hearing, visual, physical, chronic health and learning disabilities are encouraged to contact the Access Center in the Plaza 122. Students are provided assistance in coordinating a full range of support services.

Access the GI Bill® Comparison Tool to calculate your benefits and research approved programs.  

For more information about Metropolitan State University of Denver visit our College Navigator profile.

Search the VA’s Education FAQ for answers to your questions or submit a specific question to the VA regarding your benefits HERE

Edit this page