Western Educational Equity Assistance Center
Culturally Responsive Parent and Family Engagement
This course developed by the Western Educational Equity Assistance Center provides an overview of Equity in K-12 Education and consists of one module and six sections including a post assessment.
General Course Overview
This course content was prepared by Colleen Toomey, M.Ed., Principal Analyst with the Western Educational Equity Assistance Center. It consists of a single learning module with six sections. This course is a self-paced training. Once you have completed the entire course, you will receive an electronic certificate from the Metropolitan State University of Denver, as part of the Innovative and Lifelong Learning program.
This course will help you to consider how to infuse family engagement strategies and frameworks that are culturally responsive and celebrate the knowledge that families bring into school communities. Participants will reflect on where their school or district is excelling in terms of family engagement, where they need to improve, and learn a common language to help do this work. Tools to support building a culturally responsive strategy will be provided, in addition to activities that can be done with fellow educators.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- To define culturally responsive family engagement frameworks
- To help educators understand the multiple definitions of education and how to center families in the learning process
- To prepare pre-service teachers with practices to build culturally responsive relationships and support success
- To promote family engagement practices that support the whole student and honor a family’s wealth of knowledge
Professional Development Units
The suggested amount of Professional Development Units for this course is 4 contact hours. MSU Denver will issue a certificate of completion and it is at the discretion of state licensing agencies, school districts, or local educational agency to recognize completion for professional development credits.
Google Classroom Access
1) Make sure you have a google account as you will need to sign in. You can create one at no cost using any email address.
2) Go to Google Classroom at the following link and sign into your google account: https://classroom.google.com
3) Once you are signed in click on the + sign at the top right hand of the page. On the dropdown menu click on Join Class.
4) A pop-up screen will ask for the class code. Use the following code to access the course: zbypmvq